Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thoughts at the End of Day


Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
    and let no iniquity get dominion over me.

This interim week is always a little strange, wouldn't you agree? We spend the last half of November and the month of December looking forward to Christmas, some days running around like crazy, or baking till we collapse, or fitting crafts and cocoa and cards into an afternoon. Then Christmas comes, and goes, and we just kind of start breathing again. Whether we had unmet or fulfilled expectations, it matters no more, because the holiday is in the past now. And yet, there's another one coming, in just a couple of days. And with it, a new year, brimming with new plans and dreams and goals.

So...Christmas is over, and with it a slew of expectations, but the new year is coming with a whole new set of ideals. Have you ever been in a thunderstorm that quieted for a few minutes and then started up again, full force?

That's the feeling I get this week. I can let my hair down for a few days. I took the whole week to get caught up on my dishes and tidy the house (and it's still not done, truthfully). And everywhere, kids enjoy vacation, sometimes people take a break from work, families still travel, post-Christmas family get-togethers take place. But the world rests quietly for a minute or two. Stores feel like a beach after a hurricane. The leftover snow from a white Christmas has settled and grayed. The Christmas tree skirt lies wrinkled and empty below the tree...all presents are gone.

And I sit with my cup of chai and read blogs about New Year's traditions and wonder what holidays will be like when Charles is old enough to enjoy them (beyond eating the wrapping paper).


This is my thought for this week: Life is too short to do anything but rest and rejoice in the Lord.

Complaining because my ideals in the past year weren't met to the "T" or worrying because 2013 may not in every way live up to my expectations will only waste my time and energy. Time and energy that could be spend praising God and glorifying him by enjoying this life he has given me. I have such a blessed life. God blesses me every day in so many ways. I so dearly want to be to my family, and others around me, a living testimony to his goodness. A mouth that sings praise, not one that sing-songs complaints.

This verse from Psalm 119 has been the prayer of my heart this week:  

Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
    and let no iniquity get dominion over me.

I think I will let it be my prayer for 2013. I just want to keep moving steadily forward in the Lord, to continue to learn to walk in victory rather than being dominated by sin, and to keep my eyes on his promises.

I thank God he is allowing me to finish this year well in several personal goals. I look forward to walking with him in the coming year. He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment