Monday, April 15, 2013

My Monster Cookies



So I promised one of the boys I care for in our home that we could have monster cookies soon. Today I fulfilled that promise. I looked up the recipe online and found this one on a blog:
Sally's Baking Addiction

I quickly made changes and started realizing that my recipe was actually entirely different. Just wanted to give the tiniest piece of credit to this blogger that she was due.

These more nutritious cookies are scrumptious. We are quickly devouring them. I had thought that there would be enough to take to our neighbors, but I was wrong. I guess batch #2 will be upcoming. :)


My Monster Cookies

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup flaxseed flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup peanuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar and honey together. Blend in egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in add-ins. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.


The amazing thing about making healthier choices is that you can learn how to use better ingredients and then still enjoy your old standard recipes but know that you are doing less harm to your body. The way your body processes white sugar and flour hurts you. Whereas honey and dark brown sugar are not the ultimate best, they’re still better choices, and these ARE cookies we’re talking about here. :) I have found that Wal-mart carries a whole wheat flour from Prairie Gold that is GMO-free, so I only buy that now. In the original monster cookies you would find whole oats, but my husband isn’t a fan of the oatmeal texture, so I grind old-fashioned oats in my food processor and use oat flour as a substitute for part of the wheat in almost everything I bake (*note* Oat flour makes baked goods slightly more crumbly). Adding the flaxseed flour gives extra nutrients. We don’t take Omega supplements so I like to make sure we have some Omega-rich foods in our diet. I add flaxseed flour to most of my baking as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment