Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Food for her household... Part 1

"She provides food for her household." ~ Proverbs 31

I will never claim to be among the world's healthiest people. I like ice cream far too much. I also am terrible at exercising like I should. However, in the past two years, I've started becoming more educated about the food America eats and have slowly and surely begun making changes to our family diet.

I must here add a caveat. I'm an opinionated person, and a determined one, but I strongly dislike fanaticism for the sake of fanaticism. For instance, I don't want to be a person who jumps on the next superfood bandwagon just because everyone suddenly thinks that a food like avocado is the solution to the nation's health issues. I refuse to be a fanatic. But I'm incredibly practical, and therefore, when I learn something legitimate, seek to put it into practice. Can it be done and would it be beneficial? Then I will attempt it.

I'd like to write a few blog entries about some of the things I've learned about baking and ingredients and nutrition, etc. I've learned so much by trial and error and would love to share some practical ways to simplify the healthier eating process and why certain things are beneficial. If I can save others some time and frustration, it would be worth it.

Eating healthier doesn't have to be difficult or distasteful. No, I'm too much of a simple housekeeper and a foodie to boot to make complicated and un-tasty changes to our diet. It really mostly involves simple substitutions. Sometimes those are more expensive substitutions but you have to be the one to count the cost financially and decide what is worth spending more on in the short run to keep your family healthier in the long run. There's no right or wrong answer to that question, although I believe there are wiser and less wise choices. But it's up to you to decide what is most beneficial.

I used to judge people for their physical lifestyle choices. I've since been convicted and realized how futile that is. Judging other moms and families is completely unproductive and unhealthy. So this series of posts is not about telling anyone what to eat, but rather sharing some useful things I've learned through weekly interaction with our chiropractor, Dr. Abby with Health from Within, and also my friend Julie, a nutritionist, as well as from my own research, and as mentioned before, much trial and error. I've also learned much from having a business with the wellness company Melaleuca, and continuing as a shopper with them even though I no longer represent them as my occupation.

I'm looking forward to verbalizing some of these things! It's been a fun journey that will continue all of my life I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment