Saturday, March 3, 2012

Not-so-unhealthy Dessert



Everyone keeps asking if I've had any cravings while being pregnant. Honestly, no, at least not the kind that recur or make you go crazy. I think most of mine have been normal pregnant-or-not girl cravings for sweet things, like chocolate, or coke, or, like last night...cupcakes.

This was my healthy substitute. I did whole wheat waffles with fruit and Greek yogurt sweetened with honey on top. It was yummy, and rather guilt-free.

I've never worked so hard to be healthy as I have over the past 8 months. Why is it that it becomes so much easier to do something for someone else than just for yourself? I've never taken vitamins regularly (in fact, I've despised the notion), and yet here I've gradually worked myself into the habit of taking my Melaleuca prenatals twice a day, every day. AND now I'm taking herbs as well. It fascinates me how just the beginnings of motherhood have so naturally changed me already...and Baby C isn't even here in my arms yet.

Nate and I are working toward having a healthy lifestyle. It's coming by degrees. I'm incredibly excited about living less than a mile from our farmers market this summer, and about being able to grow some of my own veggies, or at least attempt it. We're hoping to buy farm-grown local beef in bulk soon, too. Melaleuca is enabling us to detoxify our home and get rid of any chemicals in our cleaning, toiletries, etc. We've been seeing a chiropractor who specializes in wellness who has been adjusting us for 6 months now to help us become physically stronger. I'm so thankful to the Lord to be able to have and do these things - what a privilege.

Our life has been absolutely crazy over the past 10 months...and I have no idea that it will ever settle down into normalcy (although I'd like to pretend, soon). God's grace is so incredibly overwhelming - that He would give us all of these trials and tests of faith to endure, and see us faithfully through them, and change us so much in the meantime. He's never left us to walk alone, and never will.

Here's the recipe for the waffles:

2 eggs
1 2/3 c. milk
4 t. baking powder
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. oil (I used coconut)
2 c. whole wheat flour

Whip eggs. Beat in milk, and then remaining ingredients. Bake on a waffle maker. Top with fruit of choice (I did fresh blueberries and frozen peaches). Stir together honey, a touch of vanilla extract, and Greek yogurt. Dollop yogurt on top of waffles.
Enjoy!

1 comment: